This is my Season.

"I know that there is nothing better for [me] than to rejoice and to do good in [my] lifetime; moreover that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor-- it is the gift of God."

Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

Monday, October 27, 2008

What is a mother to do??

I have come at an impasse in raising children. I have no idea what to do about Miss Molly's security pillow. It is the most disgusting thing ever!! She literally sucks on it and her thumb at the same time. She wipes it all over her face like a dog scrounging on the floor. She drops it on the ground and still picks it up to suck on. The boys have rode over it with their bikes. She has used it as a handkerchief. It used to be a beautiful pattern of butterflies and flowers. Now it is a dingy.... no gross... tattered piece of fabric holding a lumpy pillow. She calls for it when she can't have it at a moment's notice. She is comforted by it when hurt. She sleeps with it for naps and night. She does not understand why I have to wash it so often.

We have tried to replace it with another small pillow but it wouldn't do. It has become a petri dish of toxic germs. There is no way it would pass any inspection by the Federal Government for Child Safety. I could be reported if anyone thought I willingly gave my daughter filthy wet rags to suck on.
What do I do? Take away the health hazard and have my girl fight through it? Or allow her to suck away until there is no more but a thread of material left to the pillow?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember...'Bear Bunny'; Randy Racoon; the plaid quilt that no longer had stuffing, or trim?!! You kids survived & I used to think the same thing, "what's a Mother to do?"
...Keep that washing machine running!!
(Sorry...I'm no help!)

Ben and Melissa James said...

There's a cute book called "Owen". Try to check it out of the library or find it at Barnes & Noble and read it really quick. It's about a little boy who won't give up his blankie. His mom ends up cutting it into little hankerchief squares to carry around with him.

Carrie Postma said...

Call Hazmat.