This is my Season.

"I know that there is nothing better for [me] than to rejoice and to do good in [my] lifetime; moreover that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor-- it is the gift of God."

Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

Monday, May 12, 2008

Good parenting skills

"Be a good example to your kids let them see you read." I hear this more and more. I am guilted into reading so that my children think I am a good parent.
The problem is that when I read a good book I no longer parent. I can't put the book down for the next several hours and use the TV (the one that tells me to read) as a babysitter so I can "just read one more chapter!" All structure, routine, and good parenting goes out the door when I read. So unless it has to do with talking bears, tea parties on a mushroom, or knights fighting a dragon then I need to limit my reading to books my kids can read with me!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so funny, but true! I love reading, but every time I sit to read, even my bible in the mornings Tre brings me a book and wants me to read to him. Funny how that works! I am so excited that he wants to read I usually stop, read the book, and then try to go back to reading. Yeah, it's a crazy thing being am mommy; and I only have one right now.

Jess Stevens said...

LOL! So, I'm guessing "Mistaken Identity" is good?

Carrie Postma said...

Whats wrong with reading "Everybody Poops"? I know its riveting and its a pretty quick read.

The Murphy Family said...

SO true. I think the last time I read was in college... didn't do too much of it then either.